Creating a speech has much in common with essay writing, however there are some unique features you have to keep in mind. In simple words, a speech is a presentation delivered to the audience with a voice. Here are some tips for effective speech writing.
- Define a message of your speech and think about the ways to approach it.
- The opening of your speech should be creative to get the audience’s attention. You may start your speech with a quotation, a joke or a provoking assertion. The introduction should be about 20-30 seconds.
- Create an outline of points to talk about, just like you do when writing a persuasive essay.
- Organize your points. They should be built on each other to keep the speech structured. Omit the points that are not necessary to support your main message and remember about the time limit you need to fit into.
- Work on the transition from one point to another.
- Once you make a strong opening, be sure to make a strong conclusion. Summarize your points and finish your speech with a memorable statement, additional comment or a question for your audience.
- One of the most important things in speech is the way it sounds. So practice reading it aloud and ask your friends or family to listen. After that, accept their comments and revise the speech accordingly. Produce a final version that accounts for how the speech sounds.